Pages

Sunday 19 August 2012

It's a personal thing!

No not this year. What with the Olympic bubble we were in, such a success, a trip down Wembley Way, just to watch any old club, might damper August. You see every year the Bradford family watch the Rugby League Cup Final, it's a tradition. It started many years ago when my old man took the Bradford Family to see Hull v Widnes. I distinctly remember the tube ride and I think it was about 1982. The score was 14 points each, which resulted in the cup not being lifted as it went to a replay. (unlike now as the match is settled through golden point injury time, I think?)

However, since that year, I have witnessed the cup being raised many times. The trouble is the teams who have raised the cup have never been the teams I wanted to win. Not that that matters too much, as rugby league is an occasion, a northern descent on the capital, all in it together, but it would be nice just to see one West Yorkshire club win. A Yorkshire club did win it one year I went, a match they should never have won apparently, Sheffield Eagles beat Wigan. The Eagles were 16 to 1to win and blow me they did. South Yorkshire though Sheffield, and whilst it was a great occasion, it was not a West Yorkshire club. Rachel enjoyed her first Wembley rugby experience however, coming from Sheffield originally, I told you it was a personal thing.

So, who have I seen play at Wembley?

Hull v Widnes as mentioned earlier. Wigan beat Leeds (my team) two years in a row and I am constantly reminded every year when they show the full length Martin Offiah try to celebrate what's great about the game.



St Helens beat Bradford two years in a row (poor old Nathan Graham, he used to be a mate of mine who cost Bradford the game). Saints also went on to beat Huddersfield, Hull and Catalan (the year our kid is remembered for having an empty chip box on his head to protect him from the sun). More recently I witnessed Warrington beat Huddersfield, and then the personal thing really kicked in, Warrington beat Leeds and Leeds were shocking! Waste of money, not enjoyable, why had we bothered! (and my son was upset, really upset, so much so he started to swear at the referee, who actually had not done anything wrong - I think he was 6 at the time, never heard language like it). But like all true sporting fans we turned up at Wembley again last year to watch a thriller, and yes you guessed it Wigan beat Leeds. They tried though and came oh so close, and daughter (first experience) and I made it on the big screen during Abide with Me, and I did that stupid pause then wave when I realised, and I found it on the i-player and took a photo, and I texted everyone I knew, and I still talk about it!

Anyway bloody Leeds have won through to the final again, so we are going down to watch, this Saturday as it happens. I suggested a bar-b-que at home, but Steve and Rachel said," What if Leeds win and you are not there?" And if they do manage to win this year I will never have to worry about going again, or if we do, not worry about the result.

25th August, Warrington v Leeds Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.

Come on LEEDS!!!!

PS Warrington have just hit a bit of form, I will let you know after Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment